Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Memoir '44 - Flanking Caen Battle Report - Withdrawal from Hill 112 - 6 x 6 Challenge

Amy and I played the 3rd scenario in the Flanking Caen Campaign Scenario for Memoir '44.




Withdrawal from Hill 112 Historical Background.

On June 29, Operation Epsom entered its fourth day.  The British were holding onto a salient that incorporated high ground known as Hill 112 on the far side of the Odon River, near the village of Baron.  The British 11th Armored Division had a tentative hold and the Allies knew, thanks to intelligence reports, that the Germans were amassing armor for a counter-attack.
The German command made a preliminary push, sending the 9th and 10th SS Panzer Divisions and the 2nd SS "Das Reich" into action along both sides of the Odon.  Although the 11th Armored Division was abel to hold Hill 112, the British commander, Lietenant-General Dempsey grew concerned about having this lead elements isolated on the far side of the river.  He ordered them to withdraw back across the Odon, a decision that came back to haunt him when the Allies paid a heavy toll to reclaim the same fround nine days later.
 Although Operation Epsom never quite achieved its original objective of flanking Caen, it did manage to draw the bulk of the German armor into the area which freed up the Americans on the right and opened the door for their break-out into hedgerow country.
The Allied forces are commanded by Amy and the Axis are commanded by me.

You can see the full play through here.


This game went a little more in my favor.  It was still close and a win was not assured for me.  I was really hoping to capture the temporary medal objective for the extra campaign points, but I couldn't pull it off.

I did fail to record a victory point during the game, that would have had me win sooner and put me in a better position in the overall campaign, but it was my mistake so I'll just eat it.

The campaign points after the third battle (including Objectives);

Allies: 18
Axis:  11

Stay tuned for the final battle in this mini-campaign; Hill 112.

No comments:

Post a Comment