Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Painting The Walking Dead: All Out War in Black and White - Walkers and Rick

My OLDER sister is a big fan of The Walking Dead.  For her birthday, I decided I would get her a copy of the board game from Mantic Games and paint it up for her.  Because she likes the comic so much (she also likes the TV show), I decided I would paint the models to match the comic and only use black, white, and greys.

Follow along as I share the process.

First up, I painted the walkers.  Nothing to exciting with these as I just used different grey shades and then washed the models with Nuln Oil.



I have one big tip for anyone that wants to paint their models in this style.  Be sure you don't paint any similar shades next to each other.  Keep the contrast clear by using a dark grey next to a light grey.  This makes each piece of clothing or the skin from blending in with each other.




Next up was Rick.  I used the same process for Rick, but decided that I would be highlighting the survivor models so that they stand out a little better.  I'm also painting the ring around the survivor's bases white so they stand out a little better on the table top.


For the highlight, I just used the same color as I used as the base color (before the Nuln Oil wash) and just picked out the high points.  I don't actually do a lot of highlighting on my models, but think it worked well with this.

Here you can see Rick without a wash...

With a wash...

And finally, with highlights.

I continue to be surprised by the impact a wash can have.

Stay tuned to see the rest of the survivors from the core box.

No comments:

Post a Comment