Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Recruits Gaming Convention - September 2016 - Part 1 - Fistful of Lead

Several members of my local gaming group took the trip to Lee's Summit, MO to attend this years Recruits Gaming Convention.  This is hosted by the high school gaming club and has been going on for about 13 or 14 years.  It is a great convention (though on the small side) and we enjoy the trip every chance we get.

I didn't get to play a ton of games, but did get to take part in a few that I thought I would share with you.

First up was a demo game of Fistful of Lead.  This is a fast paced Wild West era game of gun fights on the American frontier.

The game I played in had 5 bands of gunmen battling it out.  Two groups were in town to rob the bank that happened to have just received the payroll for the local cavalry detachment.  I ran a group of outlaws that was there to rescue their brother from the local jail.  Another group was there to take the bother locked up in the jail with them so he could marry their sister that he got in a family way.  Finally, there was the marshals who wanted to keep the man in jail and protect the payroll.

Players all had 5 models armed with a mix of pistols, rifles, and shotguns.  Players were dealt cards each turn and initiative counted down from King to two.  Aces could be played as a wild.  Some cards have some special effects when played.

The game was a ton of fun and worked well with a large group.  Players were engaged throughout the turn because their actions are based upon the cards they have.
































As you can see, the table looked great with lots of fantastic terrain and the models were all well painted.

I managed to get my brother out of jail and off the table so I won the game.  I had some lucky rolls and good card draws.

I enjoyed the game enough that I decided to purchase a copy of the rules.  I already have a collection of buildings and models painted up for this era, so it made the decision to purchase the rules easy.

I plan to run some games for my local group and see how everyone likes it.  I think I will need to add more buildings to my collection as my town could use a few more buildings.  So you might see some projects along those lines in the very near future on this blog.

In my next post I'll tell you about our game of Axles and Alloys at Recruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment