Thursday, July 24, 2014

Rock Your Glock at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League

I am the match director for the Rock Your Glock Match held at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League in Bennett, Nebraska.  We had our monthly match this past weekend (July 19th) and had a great time.  Sorry, no pictures from the match.

We had 108 guns sign up for the match.  Not our biggest turn out, but certainly in contention for it.

I would like to thank all of the competitors for coming out and specifically thank the ROs who volunteer their time to work the match.  It could not happen without their time and effort.  THANK YOU!!!

For those of you that aren't familiar with the match, let me give you a brief explanation.  This match is modeled after the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation matches.  The primary difference is we have more divisions and allow people to shoot guns that are not made by Glock.  We allow revolvers and 1911s which the GSSF matches don't have since Glock doesn't make these types of handguns.

The Plates:  We have a plate rack with 6 steel plates that are 8" in diameter.  This stage has 4 strings of fire.  In each string your goal is to shoot and knock down each of the plates.  The plate rack is set at 11 yards from the shooter.

The M:  This stage has 4 paper targets and 3 steel pepper poppers.  This stage has 3 strings of fire.  You will shoot each paper with 2 shots and knock down 1 steel in each string.  The paper targets are set at 7 and 15 yards, while the steel poppers are set at 11 yards from the shooter.

The 5 to 25:  This stage has 5 paper targets.  This stage also has 3 strings of fire.  You will shoot each paper with 2 shots in each string.  The targets are set at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards.

Scoring is a Time Plus system.  We track the time it takes you to shoot each string of fire and then add time based on penalties for shots that aren't in the A/B zone of the targets.

There is no moving in this match and you don't need to reload on the clock either which makes this a great match for shooters that are new to competitive shooting.  If you have never been and are interested in pistol competitions, I would encourage you to come check out our match or find a similar one near you.

I shot in the stock amateur division with my Springfield Armory XDM 9mm.  I finished in 6th place with a total time of 87.39.  Not great, but for me it is a pretty good showing.  My times added up to a total of 53.39 seconds and I had 34 seconds of penalty points.

I still have more work to do, but am significantly better than when I started.  I will continue training and working on improving my abilities.

Have you been to any matches lately?  What kind of shooting do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment