Thursday, July 31, 2014

6mm Building Designs

As you can see in my previous posts, I have been building some 6mm forces and have played a few games using them.  I have made some terrain for those games and have a few more projects planned.

One item I am missing is buildings.  There are lots of great designs out there, but it seems that nearly all of them are in the UK or some other European country.  I am unable to find what I am looking for here in the US.  I don't have a problem buying from overseas, but shipping can get a bit pricey.

So I decided to see what I could do to change this.  My first step has been to get a 3D modeling program and see if I could make some building designs that would work.  In high school (many years ago) I took quite a few drafting classes.  Very little of it was on the computer and even less was 3D, but that training is helping me with this process.

I've put together a couple of basic building designs and some stand alone doors.  I will continue to play with these and see what I can come up with.  I want to make some designs that are clearly "alien", but human colony buildings and structures are going to be my first efforts.

Here are some examples of what I've come up with so far.

This one is the basic structure.  Good for an outpost or rows of habitats.

A little variation from the basic design.  

A bit larger building and I added a floor to add depth to the city.

I offset the design above to add more variety.

These doors have can be used to scratch build structures or to add doors to the buildings.  The round door will also work as a vent fan.

Let me know what you think?  How could I do these better?  What am I missing?  What would you like to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment