Thursday, August 28, 2014

Epic 40K Tyranids - Test Models Part 2

After getting some feed back on my Tyranid test models, I've decided to make some changes and try a little different approach.

The original test models didn't have enough contrast.  I like the grey and purple scheme and the ash waste basing, but when I get 50 or 100 bases painted up with that scheme, there won't be much that stands out.

I order to add a bit more contrast, I decided to paint the plates bone and then wash them with GW Agrax Earthshade and then highlight with a little bit of bone.  I also painted the claws red to add a little more color and contrast.  The results are distinctive.
Original test

Red claws and Bone armor plates.

I like the look, but I still don't think there is enough contrast.  The models kind of get lost in the basing.

Next up is to try a different basing color.  I decided to try the colors that I have used for my Space Marines.  Just a basic brown base, dry-brushed with a lighter color brown and some flock added.




Used flash on the camera for a little better light.
I think these have enough contrast now and will stand out well.  I liked the idea of the ash waste basing, but I don't want the army to be hidden in the basing.

What do you think of these?  Better or Worse?  

2 comments:

  1. Much better than the fist ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think the other color scheme would work in a larger scale, but for 6mm contrast is important.

    ReplyDelete