Friday, March 9, 2018

Great Plains Game Festival 2018

I spent a couple days at the Great Plains Game Festival in Lincoln, NE  a couple weeks ago and thought I would share a little about the experience.

This is my third time attending this convention.  Each time has been full of games and has been tons of fun.  The convention is focused on board games, but there were some RPGs represented this year.  I didn't see any miniature gaming, but I could have missed it.

I managed to play a pile of board games.  Some were totally new, others I've played before.  I even managed to play a few games that I have in my collection that I hadn't played yet.
A fun game where you build up your Fair with attractions while others are trying to keep it from getting too big.
A good game with some interesting player interactions.

Post apocalyptic theme where you are trying to establish your turf. 
Lots of options and was a ton of fun. 

Each player is putting on shows at their own Colosseum trying to out do all the others.
One of my favorite games.

Healthy Heart Hospital

An interesting co-op game with an uncommon theme.  Players are trying to treat patients before they get so sick they die.
I own this, but hadn't played it.  I need to re-read the rules and give this another try.

Zombicide

A co-op game where everyone is trying to eat you.  You've got to work together to be successful.
I enjoy this game, but it can go on a little long sometimes.  

Forest of the Impaled

Forest of the Impaled

This is a historically themed game where 6 armies are working together to defeat Vlad the Impaler.  It is very pretty and I enjoyed it a lot.  This was a Kickstarter that I didn't back and now I regret not backing it.
I might have to see about finding a copy of this.

Escape from 100 Million BC

Time traveling when your time machine breaks.  Your group is stuck and you have to find parts to fix the machine without screwing up the future too much.
This one was a little tedious and the components could have used a bit more work.

Terraforming Mars
You get to spend 20 generations trying to turn Mars into a hospitable place.  Lots and lots of options.  So many that is is hard to know what to do.  This is one that will take a few plays before you really know what is going on.

Another game that I owned, but hadn't played.  Glad I have it and have played it a couple times since the con.  It is great!


In this game, you are collecting resources and fighting monsters, but you can only move right and/or down.
It seemed a bit odd at first, but it forced some interesting decisions.

This one might end up in my collection, but I think I want to play it again before I buy it.

This is an abstract, puzzle game where you have to build a structure out of balls, but the rules change every round.
It was a lot of fun and it plays very quickly.

I have already purchased a copy and have introduced it to several new players.


Empire of the Stars
Prototype Playtest

This was a prototype that reminded me a bit of Twilight Imperium.  It was a fun experience.  I look forward to playing it again after a little more play testing and tweaking.  After the game, I was thinking about different choices I should have made.  That is always a good sign for any game.

Designed by Cody Sahs

I had heard good things about this game and they were all true.  A fun bluffing game where you don't actually have to bluff at all.  I think this one will find its way into my collection at some point.

This game is kind of hit and miss for me.  I've played it before and it was alright so I thought I'd get in on another go. 

This is a real time game that didn't really trip my trigger.  It's hard to say what I didn't like.  I don't know if it was too light or if the theme was just not right for me.  

I pre-registered for the convention and received a free game when I arrived.  They had a nice variety of games for that that pre-registered and it was random which game I got.  I've never heard of the game I got (Pack Wars), but hey it might be a hidden gem.  They did have several games that I had heard of and some were fairly pricey games (MSRP up to $60).

The convention had snacks available for purchase.  This included candy, donuts, chips, soda, hot dogs, nachos, hamburgers, etc., but also included some specials from local restaurants like Valentino's, Chick-fil-a, and Famous Dave's.  

They also boast a wide selection of Play-to-Win games.  I think there were about 50 games that you could check out and then were entered into a drawing to win that copy of the game.  I played a few of these, but didn't win any. 

And finally, the game library is pretty amazing.  I think they have 2,000 games in the library, and you can check any of them out to play.  And we aren't talking about a bunch of crappy old games.  They have lots of classics, but they had most of the new popular (and some less known) titles available.  I suppose I should have taken a few "shelfies" to show off the selection.

Overall, I had a fantastic time at the convention and look forward to next year's event.  If you are in the area or within a day's drive, I'd say it is worth the trip.  Great folks, great games, and a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment