Monday, October 10, 2016

Recruits Gaming Convention - September 2016 - Part 2 - Axles and Alloys

After a rousing battle with some rival gangs in the old west, I was rushed into the not-to-distant future for some post-apocalyptic racing.  Think NASCAR with guns on the cars and racing on a dirt track and wrecked vehicles scattered around the track and no caution flags.  You know a fun version of NASCAR (that is a joke, please don't send me any angry emails).

Ted runs a variety of games at Recruits and has for many years.  I've had the chance to play in a few of them and they are always great fun.

This was no different.  The rules used for this game were Axles and Alloys (which are available free here).  These are a quick playing set of rules that aren't meant as a simulation, but instead try to allow you to play a cinematic version of a demo derby with guns thrown in.  If you've seen Death Race or Mad Max, you know what I'm talking about.

We started with 10 cars in the race and 3 were still moving at the end.  The winning car completed about 1 and a quarter laps.  It isn't the fastest moving game, but it is full of mayhem and explosions.  What more could you ask for?



This was the car I was driving.

Another angle of my car.


































Overall, this was a great game.  As I said, it doesn't play very quick.  That is kind of a draw-back for a con game, but there were enough explosions and mayhem, that it still works.  I have downloaded the rules and will be testing out my skills at converting a few Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment