Monday, September 12, 2016

Congo - First Game

Randy and I got together to play our first game of Congo - Adventures in the Heart of Africa.  We chose to go with the first scenario provided with the book.

Randy took the Sultanate of Zanzibar and I took the White Men Expeditions.  We put together our 70 point forces, set up the terrain and started the battle.

We played on a 4'x6' table as that is what the rules suggest as the normal table size, but we have since seen an update that says that was a mistake and the suggested table size should be 3'x4'.  I'm not sure that had a huge effect on our game, but we will be using smaller tables in the future.

We played The Last Queen of Aksoum scenario.  The white men start with the mask in the possession of one unit.  That unit's goal is to get the mask off the table.  The Zanzabari force is trying to find the mask and loot the camp.


I gave the mask to my unit of trained Askari.  I new they would protect the mask with their lives while trying to get it out of the area.


Our table was a little bigger than it should have been, but it was still a fun game.


A unit of warriors allied with the Zanzibar forces.


The boss and his body guard heading toward the camp.


Another Zanzibar unit heading into camp.





The mask is almost to the table edge.


I pushed my Askari's with the mask hard toward the table edge.  I got lucky with some really poor rolling on the part of the Zanzibar forces and some really good rolling on my part.

We learned a lot about the mechanics of the game and how units interact with each other.  I think a smaller table would have helped the slavers as they wouldn't have had as far to go to reach my units.  But I also would have been even closer to the table edge.  Oh well.  Live and learn.

I won the game with a score of 10 versus 4 points.

It was a fun game and I'm looking forward to trying this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment